Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Best Birthday present EVER!

Since we have "moved in", our house hasn't been quiet for a minute! Apparently when you live in an apartment, people tend keep their distance. Since we moved in 10 days ago there have hardly been a day or night that we haven't entertained our friends and family. Everyone is just as excited about our house as us it would appear. Included in these celebrations was my 30th birthday. In the 10 days that we have been sleeping in our house (and trying to unpack boxes) we have even had house guests. To my surprise (and what a surprise it was, lemme tell ya!) my cousin and design-go-to-girl Penny, came to visit for the weekend! Through the celebration and the jugs of Sangria we got to work unpacking and dreaming up endless design ideas including this small little project that is near and dear to my heart that anyone can copy in their own kitchen!

Penny brought me a recipe from my Great Grandmother (her Grandmother) for Mustard Pickles! It has quickly became one of my prized possessions. I'm talking if-the-house-burned-down-what-would-be-the-first-thing-you-would-save prized possessions for sure. It's so special because its written in her hand writing with grammatical and spelling errors and mustard stains on the paper, and its over 30 years old.
Obviously it required a place to be "displayed", and since my kitchen has bits of yellow in it, we figured that's where it should live. So this is what Penny and I came up with!


Nanny's recipe 

I found these 5 x 7 shadow box frames at HomeSence for like $10. They have a liner of grass cloth and a small sliver desk clip attached at the back. They evoke a little nostalgia in themselves which was perfect for this project.
Any shadow box frame will work for this project





Insert your recipe like you would a picture

I attached the frame (and the vintage clock) to the glass tile by using the 3M strips. If you need to remove them you just pull the tab and you have no hole in your wall! You can get them just about everywhere including Wal-Mart


The final look!
This can be done in any kitchen with a favorite recipe of collage of recipes etc! Cheep and cheerful!




Another cute idea is to re-purpose a cake stand!


A cute way to display your hand cream and tea towels!



No comments:

Post a Comment